What is brick work?
Brick work is masonry produced by a bricklayer, using bricks and mortar. Typically, rows of bricks are laid on top of one another to build up a structure such as a brick wall.
Brick is a popular medium for constructing buildings and walls. Examples of brickwork are found throughout history as far back as the Bronze Age.
To create a brick work structure you need to include bricks, beds and perpends. The bed acts as the mortar upon which a brick is then laid. A perpend is a vertical joint between any two bricks and is usually filled with mortar.
Why choose brick work over stone?
- Using brick work is more cost effective
- Brick work is a very accessible material
- Brick work is more fire resistant that stone as they do not disintegrate easily.
- Good quality brick is resistant to various atmospheric effects and changes.
- Mortar joints used in brick work are thin thus making the structure more durable.
- It is easy to construct connections and openings using brickwork, making it easier to create different designs and angle. With stone work you are somewhat restricted.
- As it is a light weight material, it can be used for long projecting walls and beams.
We are experts and craftsman in our field. So if you are you looking to have a brick wall built and are looking for expert advice or a quote for you project? Get in touch today and one of our team members can help answer you queries.